Cloud Computing can be most effective and productive at times, but when the Cloud is not configured properly it simply is a waste of valuable resources and expenditure. Often many organisations get into Hybrid Cloud computing or Private Cloud computing modes for better performance of their organisations/ business. This is the fundamental areas where Cloud Computing is to be completely taken care of.
The biggest issues In Cloud Computing is Security and Backups. While Cloud Computing can be cheap, the Backup and Security measures are often costly than you can expect.
In order to create a robust cloud computing environment, one must have the fundamentals of their Cloud configured perfectly. We have covered some of the crucial areas below where important and intelligent decisions are to be made while choosing the cloud and type of work you need to do on it.
1. Cost of the Cloud: Cloud providers have various types of pricing and shared types is one of the most prominent one. Even on the bigger cloud providers, you get your resources shared from a single high performance server.
One must be sure if the Cloud is perfectly configurable and usable for the price you are paying. Cheap Clouds have their own set of drawbacks at later stages.
2. Control of Cloud resources: Your Cloud must be in your control. The resources you are being provided must be fixed to your cloud instance rather than sharing some part of it with others. For this purpose, Xen based instances are the best choice.
3. Choose only what you need: The Cloud is all about saving some money on the go. Paying for unused resources and unnecessary add-ons is a waste of money. Many admins and CIOβs often think too far and get high capacity clouds planning for something like 10 years ahead. But paying excess amount for 10 years without utilising It is not productive and efficient.
4. Cloud Control must be automated: The key to Cloud efficiency is in automation. While doing everything manually can be considered a good move, wasting time of repetitive tasks is drooping line on your performance graph. You don’t need to do the same task daily at the same time manually. Just automate it!
5. Hiring an efficient CIO: When it comes to decision making, everyone has to obey the top most big guy in the organisation. Explaining him the need and advantages of certain aspects of Cloud computing can often help improve you and your organisations efficiency.
6. Backup your Cloud daily: If you think Cloud is the best way to efficiency and you donβt need backups, then let me tell you. You are absolutely wrong!
In most cases the lack of perfect backup strategy is the main cause of data loss at times of outages. Having regular backups can save lots of crucial information.
7. Securing your Cloud is your headache: No one secures your cloud for you. Itβs your cloud and you are the one who should secure it. Most security breaches take place only due to unsecured ports that are left unused and accounts that are privileged with unnecessary powers like root.
8. Node balancing is and efficient technique: Cloud instances alone canβt give you complete 100% uptime and performance. In fact no one can provide 100% uptime. Using node balancers can improve your uptime and performance increasing the output of your organisations/business.
Though node balancing is costly. It saves many valuable hours of your admins and yourself.
9.Β SLAβs and monitoring are crucial: Service level agreements can help you in saving lot of money if your cloud goes offline or gets an outage. Though you canβt get the time back, at least a compensation for your credits can be achieved. Monitoring your websites, applications in the Cloud is recommended.
10.Β Choose between Public, Private and Hybrid Clouds wisely: Most people are unsure about how a particular type of cloud is good for their business. Choosing a particular type of cloud can always determine your future costs, performance and security. Read our article on how Public, Private and Hybrid Clouds are different.
If you have any other suggestions then let us know in the comments below.